Thursday, July 18, 2013

Anchor Chart Time

Hey everyone!  I wanted to share some of the anchor charts I made last year that really helped my children.  A lot of these were either taken from pinterest, or I used what Go Math taught and made it into logical steps for my students.

This first one is something my kids referenced daily about place value.  They learned in 4th grade about how to expand a number by just stretching the number out(i.e. 432 is the same as 400 + 30 + 2...but with bigger numbers obv).  They never learned though that 400 is the same as 4 x 100, which they needed especially when we got to decimals ( knowing that .4 is the same as 4 x 1/10).  I wanted it all laid out there for them so they could see it at any time.




This one is to help my students start to understand adding and subtracting mixed numbers without regrouping.  Since they had already learned how to add and subtract decimals, I tried to continue to reference the fraction as the part like a decimal, so you have to do that first.  My students felt like if it looked different than you must do something different. lol.


This was an example of how I wanted their notebooks set up.  I spent a lot of time this year building in that skills so that they could look back at other days.  This made the journal much more useful and relevant to our learning (something I didn't always do in the past.  Sorry you can't see the first 15 points (gotta love Mr. Sketch- they smell so good but never last).


This chart was for helping my students remember the difference between division of decimals with 1 digit or 2.  We always tried to talk about the decimal in the dividend being a rocket ship, it needed to rocket ship up to the quotient!

Simplifying fractions! Ohhh the bane of my existence!  My children really struggled with when enough is enough.  They would simplify one time and say well I am done!  So I really tried to show them that if they simplified right, they did only need to to it once!  It was tedious but they eventually liked it better than guess and check.

These two posters are posters that I glued from a Teachers Pay Teachers (they can be found on the Teaching to Inspire in 5th blog.  Click the name to be taken to the link).  These were used with all of my students when we talked about a new practice that we would be focusing on, but we used them in a center to help us independently work together.  Students would be given a difficult multi-step word problem, and would need to use the practice we were working on during that time.  So if they were working on attending to precision and detail, they would need to ensure that their steps were very detailed oriented, and they would need to present to another group at the end of the week.  The other group would ensure that they were precise with their math and that they were able to present together with ease.  They loved this because they could be the teacher!



This was a problem solving chart that we made in the begining of the year to help them understand that they could no longer just hunt and peck for some and hope that would give them the answer.  THIS took a LONG time to get them to see, they were so smart- but so lazy this year!  They never wanted to fill this out, but eventually realized as the work got harder that they needed to think about this if they wanted to solve the problem correctly! :)


These last two pictures are of our big goal.  Every year we set a big goal for ourselves.  I try to keep it something we can practice all the time, and also something that is not directly testing related ( like I don't want it to say- By the end of the year I will get an 90% or above on X test).  This makes 5th grade seem a little less scary but just big enough that it will take us all year to master!  



These are all the posters from last year that I plan to make this year right away!  Share some of your posters with me!  I would love to see how you support your teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment